Khlong Phadung Krung Kasem Canal
King Rama IV ordered the canal dug in 1852, starting from Chao Phraya River, south of Wat Thewarat Kungchorn, passing Mahanak Canal to reach Chao Phraya River again at Talat Noi, with a total distance of 5.5 kilometers.
Under the control of Somdet Chao Phraya Borom Maha Sri Suriyawong (Chuang Bunnak) and the supervision of Chao Phraya Surawong Waiyawat (Won Bunnak), the canal which was named Khlong Phadung Krung Kasem by the King could help enlarge the inner city to a great extent. Then, the 8 controlling forts along the canal in 480 meters interval were build subsequently.
Later on, the canal had turned to be a convenient waterway for transporting various merchandises like rice, bricks, fruits, jars and ice. Plenty of warehouses were located along the river in the old days. However the present Phadung Krung Kasem Canal’s thorough transport route is obstructed by Watergates, which inevitably lead to the end of trading along the waterway.