This is an old temple known as Wat Sam Pluem, in the reign of King Rama III, Chao Phraya Bordindecha (Sing Singhaseni) renovated the entire temple and had a canal dug to convey the water from Chao Phraya river to the temple’s pond. The restoration took six years to complete. Monks from other temples were invited to live here, and then the temple was presented to the King to make a Royal temple in 1825.
Later, a Buddha image named Phrabang was stalled in the Wiharn. On his visit to the temple for the Royal Kathin Rope ceremony, King Rama III observed the Wiharn had higher base than the Ubosot (main chapel). Chao Phraya Bordindecha then had a new ubosot and changed an old ubosot to be Wiharn.
In the reign of King Rama IV, Phrabang was sent back to Luang Phrabang in Laos. Phranak was shifted from buddhist shrine inside the Grand Palace to replace the image.