On the wall of the cellar beneath the base of the Chedi was decorated with mural paintings of the Ex-Buddha images sitting in rows of the niclies.
This principal Chedi of the temple is situated on an open court of the mound and in the seige of a boundary wall. The Chedi has a Naga staircase built on the south side. On the east of the Chedi is an open wide roof of the tunnel. Situated on the lower mound, the tunnel doorway is facing towards the south.
The tunnel which houses Buddha images has a wall decorated with mural paintings of trees, flowers and birds. The wide court in the front of the runnel which contains pavilions, monk’s residences, a stone pillar with a lion sculpture on its top and an old base of Vihaia surrounded by a boundary wall with its main gate lying on the south side. In addition on the west, another gate is open to the Naga staircase of the Chedi.
Identified from historic documents, architectural style and mural painting, this temple is assumed to be build in the 15th-16th centuries A.D.
Later in 1947 Chao Chuen Sirorol built Dhamma garden in the temple, and invited Phra Dhamma Kosajarn (Panya Nantha Phikkhu) to come for an abbot of the temple. U-Mong temple is one of the significant monasteries of Chiang Mai.