Ayutthaya Historical Park
Wat Phu Khao Thong
Opening Hours: 08:30 – 17:00
Address: Phu Khao Thong, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya 13000
Province: Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya
Region: Central Thailand
Located around the field which was once a battlefield between the Siamese, headed by King Naresuan, and the Burmese, the Wat Phu Khao Thong or Golden Mountain Temple was originally built in 1887 by King Maresuan and has since witnessed numerous power-struggles and stood as a victory-symbol for both the sides.
This chedi is about 80 metres high with a 2-kilogramme gold ball at the top. There is a Buddha footprint from Saraburi. The restoration later started in the reign of King Boromakot and included the building of a Thai-style chedi on the old chedi base by King Naresuan in 1584.